A med student's escape: 10 coffee shops best for studying

Being a med student entails a lot studying 24/7. And putting yourself in the mood to study is definitely an everyday struggle (well at least for me it is haha)! 

During my high school and college days, I managed to study inside my room or just around the house where I can wear pj's all day and not mind anyone. But when post grad came, this became a struggle. It's like the couch or the bed is whispering in my ear telling me to sleep and a friendly reminder, never take those 5-minute naps! It's a trap!

Ever since my barista days, I have been an avid fan of coffee and exploring different cafes. It has always been my solace and comfort zone especially on hectic days where I need to be productive. I have certain criteria before I call this certain cafe a "student-friendly" cafe.

Location
-Since I reside in Pasig City, I prefer to study nearby to lessen the hassle of commuting. During school days, since my school is in Sta. Mesa area, I prefer to study in Quezon City. And during weekends before a big quiz or exam, and I know I have a long day ahead, I tend to go somewhere far for the guilt of "I didn't come this far to be unproductive".

Operating hours
-Since I am not a morning person, operating hours are very important to me! Hahaha. I prefer those that are open til passed 12am since night time is my hours of productivity. 

Ambiance
-This includes the interior of the cafe! Most times, an ig-worthy cafe sets my mood for studying. And of course, on study breaks, I take lots of photos #doitforthegram.

Price
-Being a student, this is a very important thing to consider. Part of the breakdown of my allowance is my "coffee allowance". My dad and my sister are sceptic about this all the time! They just think I'm being maluho or maarte. So I make sure that the coffee I purchase won't go beyond 150 pesos! 

Crowdedness
-Looking for a cafe that is not crowded is beneficial for us students but a burden to business owners. That's why I opt to study in hipster cafes where there are less "families" that go there. I avoid studying in cafes inside the mall since people tend to come and go or stay there for gatherings or chitchats.
*The rating here means 5 being the highest/noisiest/most crowded and 1 being least noisy.


Noise level
-This is related to my previous criterion (crowdedness). If the cafe you're going to is a hanging place for rendesvouz, meetings, and family lunch/dinner, you don't expect to get a high level of concentration, thus, less productivity.

Wifi
-This is very important especially since nowadays everything is done online. If you have deadlines of reports to meet, go to a place that offers an unlimited wifi access for free. And if you're just gonna read your transes, a place without wifi is safer! 



My top go-to cafe would always be Starbucks since the baristas are extra friendly plus my usual drink is perfectly done here. But what makes Starbucks Technopoint standout among other branches is that there are only few people who go here! And most customers are med/law students as well. The place is pretty much quiet and there are a lot of food establishments around its parameter where you could eat (Hello Frankie's).

For those who bring a car whenever they study, this place has lots of parking spaces and parking fee is Php 30 (flat rate).

P.S. If you're going study here, don't forget to bring a jacket! It's like Antartica in this branch.





















Similarly like Starbucks, UCC has several branches. The one in Kapitolyo is nearest my place that's why I like this branch the best. Most people who go here are in the working class. I noticed that some meetings are held here but the noise is bearable since the place is spacious.



















I rated this cafe in Katipunan the highest because of its cozy interior and it's not crowded. The food is really good and are within reasonable prices plus the wifi connection did not disappoint. Perfect for a day of finishing reports and blogging!


















This cafe is very well-known among students around the university belt, and also among gamers. This cafe is divided into 2 parts; the cafe area (where you can study and eat) and the gaming area (part of the ground floor and the 2nd floor).
What makes this cafe famous is they are open for 24 hours! If you're having a long night of cramming and wanna eliminate the worry of the place closing, then this is perfect for you. The only thing that you have to be patient with is the level of the noise since you know, it is a internet cafe as well.

Situated within the walled city of Manila is this Korean-themed cafe namely Cafe Pression. This was my first time to go in such a cute cafe and mind you, it's very homey and comfy. Since it is near some schools like Lyceum and Letran, expect that the crowd here are mostly students. And the food prices are very student friendly!



Ella and the Blackbird is the former Craft Coffee Revolution in Katipunan. The place is not that spacious so there's a tendency to be crowded but most customers who stay here are students from nearby schools like Ateneo and Miriam College so the noise levels remain in a bare minumum. This cafe offers a variety of savory food and desserts matched perfectly with their espresso drinks.



Located within the busy streets of Ortigas is this modern-looking cafe named Where's Marcel. The cafe sets a productive mood and is not that crowded. Most people that visit the place go here for quick meetings and some are students from nearby schools like UA&P. They offer variety of food too but are somehow pricey. I would definitely go back here but hopefully without my books and transes.






This new cafe located beside Mt. Carmel church in New Manila is perfect for Sundays. I remember I went here to study after hearing mass. The ambiance is so peaceful and calming plus their food is very delicious. Expect to see lots of families in this cafe since it's beside a church. If you're looking for some food for brunch, this place might have what you're craving for.



And last but definitely not the least, don't miss out on this garden-themed cafe branching out several stores inside and outside the metro; Coffee Project. The branch nearest to my place and I visit most often is the one along Libis. They have one of the best coffees I've tried and there are a wide selection of cakes and desserts to choose from.










Hope this list helped you in looking for your perfect hideout during your study sessions! There will definitely be a part 2 of this list since I have a long way to go in med school. 


So, what's your favorite coffee shop on your study days?



xx,
Kea Ortega

1 comment


  1. Thank you for sharing this very informative and entertaining content. Hope you could visit our restaurant bakery in the future 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Views

Follow my instagram @kearte.md

KEA ORTEGA. Theme by STS.