1st Year Medicine

Now it's time to travel down the memory lane...
This blog was really meant to keep all the memories I tend to remember but I never thought it would always be this late. I needed *years* to digest and reflect on everything that was happening. But nevertheless, here it is!

On my previous blog posts circa 2015-2017, I have mentioned countless times my dream of becoming a doctor and entering med school. I was always at awe with the thought of studying all day at coffee shops and making lots of artsy fartsy notes in between. But it was a complete chaotic and overwhelming experience all at the same time. Of course the studying was there... but never did it came across my mind that it would take up 24/7 of my life this past 5 years.

The mandatory first day selfie and bridge photo were obviously documented. Entering my dream school, my 22 year old self was filled with burning passion and enthusiasm. I met a lot of friends and made lots of memories on my first semester! I wasn't done with my yolo era and that became a challenge for me. The adjustment period took me forever, and until now, I can't say that I have fully adjusted to the med life.

The first of many is my favorite part in documenting this journey.
💀First anatomy lab🔪 Who would even forget dissecting for the first time and see how different it is to study all the creative illustrations in Netter, and have a big question mark on your face when dissecting an actual cadaver. Hours and hours were spent in identifying the structures... and yet, I almost flunked every practical exam in Anatomy class:)) It was indeed a love-hate relationship!
🩸First venipuncture💉 As a nursing graduate, blood extractions weren't our bread and butter since mostly the med techs are experts in this skill set. I remembered during our Physiology class, one of the activities were practicing extracting venous blood. Luckily for me, I got to extract successfully on my first try! huhuhu kudos to all my med tech classmates
🎄First Christmas party. In med school, the batch is divided into 3 sections consisting of almost 150 per section. It is quite impossible to get to know everyone. Even after years, I tend to forget who is who and my introvert self couldn't keep up. But this first christmas party was really rewarding after that grueling 1st semester. Doctors party hard guys🍻
Most of my days were spent *sleeping* in the auditorium, 12++ hours studying out at different cafes, crying over thick transes I cannot absorb even after reading it twice or thrice, ranting sessions, and late night drives reflecting on my questionable life choices. But whatever sht I was going through, I was glad to have my friends as we suffer together. Also to mention, I'm super duper lucky to have my college dorm mate as my med school dorm mate, and of course, my life constant🥺
One of the best decisions I made in my med school journey was joining a sorority. It was such a brave move to join on my first year and I definitely have no regrets❤️ It's not really a requirement, but I had my heart set out to join one even before med school started. Back in college, I had a lot of fun with my orgs and extra curricular activities since it kept me sane from all the academic demands. In joining a sorority, it is more than joining an org because I have a family to keep for a lifetime. Literally gained lots of brothers and sisters!  I also experienced a lot of firsts during my freshman year. 
First tuli mission. Voila! My surgery dreams were back!! I never imagined myself making the first cut on an actual human. I used to gaze over the surgeons back when I was still a nursing student in the OR. And here I am now, a baby step closer to that dream!
First medical mission. Ever since college days, I honestly loved talking to patients. My first medical mission made me realize that I have a much heavier sense of responsibility since every patient would rely on what you're saying as their doctor. It was truly overwhelming but as early as now, you must fake it til you make it! I then realized that studying for hours could still leave you blank when talking to an actual patient. But of course, never let yourself go on a battle empty handed or better yet empty headed.

Post a Comment

Views

Follow my instagram @kearte.md

KEA ORTEGA. Theme by STS.