2nd Year Medicine

From merely surviving 1st year of medicine, now we're here in 2nd year. Small steps but i'll celebrate every small win in this journey.

Freshmen year was about covering the basics. And it wasn't basic at all. Now come 2nd year, our subjects are more clinical (which I'm grateful of). Ever since college days, I get to understand the entirety of a disease per se when its correlated to an actual patient or when I have a clinical picture in mind. Compared to 1st year, I had a hard time grasping the concepts since there wasn't any patient interaction back then. This year, bit by bit, we get to interview patients and discuss their cases in depth during our preceptorial classes.

Few core memories during 2nd year and definitely one for the books...
📚1st time teaching in our Anatomy Practicals Tutorials
Before entering med school, I fell in love with anatomy (maybe because of Grey's Anatomy, lol🤣) but come med school, it was a love-hate relationship. Well, mostly hate hahahaha it was the most difficulty subject I had that time and struggle is real is just an understatement. 
One of my sorority's event is hosting the Anatomy Practicals Tutorials done annually before the 1st long exams. As a freshman, I was really at awe on amazing the upperclassmen of the fraternity and sorority were. I wasn't part of the soro that time, and it was my selling point. Then fast forward to my 2nd year.. I was really damn nervous. How can I teach something I struggled with. But... you have to show up and play the part. A mantra I lived with almost every damn day in this field. To cut the story short, it was an exhilarating feeling for a first timer! And of course the event was a success. So glad to be part of this stellar circle.

🔪1st minor surgery. From my 1st tuli mission back in freshman year, to another surgical milestone. And yes, it is still a privilege for having great mentors from the sorority and the fraternity. It was a simple excision of mass on the nape but as a sophomore, we don't get to do this anywhere in class. The life outside the classroom is what makes me so hooked with medicine. It is the exciting part and the part I live for. 

🇷🇴Being an officer in a national organization. APMC  (Association of Philippine Medical Colleges) in an organization of affiliated med schools all over the country. Being part of this was an honor. I get to represent my school and get  the chance to meet other med students from different parts of the country.
Besides the given fact that this medical journey has its long range of being a difficult road, I'm happy to have friends to suffer with.  All the sleepless nights, rants, breakdowns, and achievements are shared with these precious people; a life constant, and a keeper.

And of course, the life I have beyond the books is definitely worth remembering.

Post a Comment

Views

Follow my instagram @kearte.md

KEA ORTEGA. Theme by STS.