INDONESIA: 13 things to do in Jakarta

Jakarta, Indonesia

When planning a vacation in Indonesia, one of the more popular choice of destination would be Bali or Lombok. The capital of Indonesia, namely Jakarta, has been a point of entry and exit for most tourists. But if you're passing through the city, spare some time and explore Jakarta for quick bit. Here is my list of some of the many things you can do in this beautiful city! Enjoy reading❤

During our stay, the mode of transportation we used were Uber or Grab. But during car-free sundays where cars are not allowed to pass through the main streets, I got the chance to ride a bajaj! This ride can accommodate up to 3 persons. They're so mini that they can go to a lot of shortcuts in the alleys and skip all places where traffic is the worst.


Monas- "Monument Nasional" or The National Monument of Jakarta is the most famous monument of this city. It stands proud in the city, symbolizing the freedom of Indonesia from the Dutch colonial back in 1945.

A vacation trip wouldn't be complete without some beach escape. During the last months of the year 2017, everything in school was too dragging and draining and I wanted to have a beach getaway but I couldn't seem to find the perfect beach that would fit my schedule. Hahahaha! When we went to Indonesia for the holidays, I really opted to see one of Jakarta's thousand islands (Pulau- Island, Seribu- Thousand). 

We went on a day tour at Pulau Pari Island (will make a separate post for this!), and man, all I can say, THIS IS THE BEACH I'VE BEEN TO SO FAR! 
*Read more about my trip here!
One of the activities that you can do during your day tour at Pulau Pari Island is snorkelling! Don't miss the chance to capture this underwater beauty! 
During Sundays, one of the main roads in Jakarta, namely Sudirman, don't let vehicles to pass by and makes itself available for jogging, cycling, walking, and some street side bazaars for the people living nearby.
This will always be my favorite part of the day, foodtrip street style! One of the things that I did first during this trip was I studied some basic Bahasa words so that it would be easier for me to order food whenever we eat out. The street food here is definitely worth your money! And every dish seem to be spicy even if I told the vendor not to make it spicy. Haha! 

My favorite everyday breakfast is their Nasi Goreng (fried rice). It is served with egg and chips that you have to eat together with the rice. It is not a side dish! I know it may sound weird, but I tried eating the chips with the rice, and yes, it's surprisingly delicious! Along with Nasi Goreng, I would also order and iced cappuccino to fuel myself for whole day of touring around the city. All these would price up to Php 70 only!

I also listed some of the delicacies that you could also try when you try exploring the streets of Indonesia:)
Taman Mini Indonesia or "Beautiful Indonesia Miniature Park" is a replica of the entire country of Indonesia in miniature version. It highlights the wonders of this country from traditional houses, to temples, cathedrals, etc. showcasing their rich culture and religion.


Located in the town of Glodok is this Buddhist Temple named Jin De Yuan temple that was  built in 1755. It is one of the most places of worship of the Buddhist community in the city. As you marvel around this temple, you could smell the aromatic incense and see the collection of ancient calligraphy as well as the different figures of the Buddhist gods.
Indonesia is known to be one of the world's coffee growing regions and being the coffee lover that I am, of course I have to visit the different cafes in Jakarta. While I was drafting my itinerary for this trip, I came across a write up about Kota Tua or its previous name Old Town Batavia. Through reading different reviews, I learned that Indonesia was under the Dutch colony that's why some towns have some British touch in the architecture of their buildings.

I opted to visit Kota Tua where Cafe Batavia is situated. This cafe's interior reflects intricate details of the Dutch colonial era, and serves the best coffee I've ever tasted. Outside the cafe is a plaza where people would simply hang out, stroll around riding a bicycle, and around the area you could marvel in the different museums, appreciate some street art, buy some goodies from the side street bazaars, and just chill out. 

Living in Jakarta, Indonesia will make you appreciate diversity in culture and religion. Jakarta Cathedral is a Roman Catholic Cathedral situated in Central Jakarta, near Merdeka Square and in front of Istiqlal Mosque. The cathedral was built in 1901 where neo-gothic architectural style was common during this period.


The world's third largest mosque is the Istiqlal Mosque. (Again, will make a more detailed version in another post, soon!)



Don't miss your chance of touring the city in a double decker bus for free!



OOTD and a whole afternoon riding a bicycle? G!



Cinta Perjalanan- "love the adventure". Indonesia will always have a place in my heart. There's so much to see in such a beautiful country. I hope this post has been added to your checklist of adventures! Thank you for reading my post! ❤



1 comment

Views

Follow my instagram @kearte.md

KEA ORTEGA. Theme by STS.